Skip to content

Foreign Exchange Student Registration and Visas

MANUAL - Jordan School District is able to accept students on F-1 and J-1 visas for full-year enrollment.

F-1 Visa Students

Applications for students on F-1 visas seeking an I-20 form issued by the Jordan School District (or a transfer from a private school to the Jordan School District) will be accepted from late winter through June of each year for the following school year. No new or transferred enrollments will be accepted after July 1. Specific details on the application requirements and process will be posted here when final policies have been approved by the Jordan Board of Education.

J-1 Visa Students

Jordan School District accepts foreign exchange students (J-1 Visa) from the Council on Standards for International Educational Travel (CSIET) only. The Utah State Board of Education establishes quotas regarding the number of foreign students each secondary school may accept. CSIET organizations submit student applications to Planning and Enrollment. When an application is accepted, the student is placed in a host family’s boundary school (or non-boundary school if a permit is approved by the desired school). Applications are accepted from host families who reside in Jordan School District boundaries only.

All foreign exchange students must be approved by Planning and Enrollment prior to registration. Exchange student placements are arranged at least five weeks in advance of the student’s departure from their native country. The students are placed in the grade level in which they would be placed had they not left their country.

A J-1 foreign exchange student:

  • is a foreign national secondary student issued a J-1 Visa from immigration who has entered the United States for up to one year for a cultural and educational experience and whose placement is approved by the Jordan School District Board of Education.
  • is not required to pay tuition to Jordan School District when tuition reimbursement from the State is available to the District. When reimbursement is not available from the state, foreign exchange students must either pay out-of-state tuition or apply for a waiver of tuition from the Board. Foreign exchange students are required to pay school registration and activity fees.
  • must maintain a minimum of 2.0 GPA and pass all their classes. If a J-1 student falls below a 2.0 GPA, the placing agency must provide tutoring for the student at the placement agency’s expense.
  • are not eligible for Special Education or Section 504 services.
  • may participate in graduation ceremonies if all graduation requirements are met. Make-up credits may be required; the time and expense are the responsibility of the student.
  • may change host families and schools during the school year provided approval is obtained by the representative of the agency and from Planning and Enrollment.
  • are not eligible for enrollment if they have previously graduated from high school or an equivalent, or whose class has graduated.
  • are not eligible to participate in EL services. It is not the intent nor is it financially possible to extend EL services to foreign exchange students. If foreign exchange students are having difficulty speaking or understanding the English language, they may be placed in courses that do not require as much language proficiency.

Back to Table of Contents