Skip to content

Home School Guidelines

MANUAL - A student should register for home school prior to being withdrawn from the boundary school. Students may be withdrawn from the boundary school for home school once the boundary school receives the notarized and stamped Annual Home School Affidavit from Planning and Enrollment in Student Services.

To enroll in home school, the custodial legal parent(s) or guardian(s):

  • Complete a "Home School Affidavit" (also available in the school “Resources” section) or by using the on-line form at
  • Have the Home School Affidavit notarized. Planning and Enrollment will notarize home school forms at no charge. Parents may choose to have them notarized and mailed to Student Services.
  • Provide the boundary school with a copy of the notarized affidavit and then withdraw their student from school (if applicable).
  • Will receive a Certificate of Exemption within 30 days after filing the home school affidavit with Planning and Enrollment.

Home school students who enroll in public school half-time or more shall render their Home School Affidavit and home school status null and void. To re-enroll in home school a new Annual Home School Affidavit should be completed using the steps above.

To attend home school full-time, the student must be withdrawn from public school. When enrolling in Skyward as a dual enrollment student (part-time public school/part-time home school), the Skyward codes are as follows: “Current Status” is “Active”, “Student Type” is “HT” (Home Taught), “Status” is “Part-time” and “% Enrolled” is noted on the Entry/Withdraw tab. (For grade placement information, see the “Grade Placement” section, found under “Enrollment”).

Other Information About Home School

Students can maintain their Home School status and be dual enrolled in a public school as long as they are home schooled half time or more. K-12 online schools such as those through Alpine, Tooele, Provo, Davis, Uintah, Washington, My Tech High or the Utah Virtual Academy Charter are public schools accessing public school funding and are not home schools. Students may not be enrolled in these schools and in their boundary school simultaneously.

Students who are in public school more than half time and have less than half time school at home require a "Student Request for Release Time" form, which should be completed at the school. Students remain enrolled part-time at the school. A Home School Affidavit is not required for released time.

Home school students returning to full-time enrollment at a Jordan District school are placed according to the “Grade Placement” guidelines, under the "Enrollment" section of this manual.

Home school curriculum is the sole responsibility of the custodial legal parent(s) or guardian(s). Resources for home school curriculum and other information is available online at the Utah State Board of Education website.

Home School students who want to participate in UHSSA activities may do so at their boundary school (per the Utah High Schools Athletic Association).


Back to Table of Contents