MANUAL - To obtain a Utah High School Diploma a student must successfully complete the required academic credits, or in some cases, is awarded a Certificate of Completion or a differentiated diploma that is consistent with state laws and the student’s individualized Education Plan or Section 504. Regardless, all seniors who either completed the school year, exited, or aged out, need to have a final status reported to the State.
This is done in the Skyward system on the Student Profile screen and the Entry/Withdraw tab. All exiting seniors need a diploma status, a graduation date and when necessary, an exit code entered in Skyward at the end of each school year. A memo is sent out near the end of the year as a guide with any new information, deadlines and the codes that are used. In general:
- Students who receive a regular graduation status at the end of the year; the exit code can be left blank and the diploma status, the graduation date and the exit code will be automatically entered in The diploma status codes include:
- GR – Graduate; those who have passed the civics test
- GP – Graduation Pending; those who have not passed the civics test
- GQ – Graduate with additional mathematics competency
- Students who remain at the school until the end of the year, but do not receive a regular graduation status; the diploma status, graduation date, and exit code (if necessary) shall be entered by the school. The diploma status codes include:
- AO – those who aged out of Special Education
- CT – those who were awarded a Certificate of Completion
- DO – No graduation codes apply even though the senior finished the school year
- G3 – those who obtained a basic diploma and whose IEP team has determined that the student’s participating in statewide assessment is through the UAA
- GC – those who obtained a Carnegie Diploma
- GG – those who will obtain a GED before the completion of the school year
- GM – those who obtained a basis diploma and satisfied criteria for military children
- GP – those who will continue their education in Special Education
- RT – those who are a Retained Senior (special education students only)
Summer Early Grad Scenarios 11th Grade
- Best case – If the student graduates on or before June 30 of their 11th grade year, the registrar can go to the Entry/Withdrawal tab before Year-end State Reporting (around July 7), and exit the student as an 11th grade early graduate. Enter an exit date one day after the last day of school, with the exit code of “11”, and enter all the necessary graduation information on the Profile tab.
- If the student graduates on or before June 30, and the registrar does not find out until after Year-end State Reporting, the registrar can go into the Skyward system, change the student’s grade to 11th grade, and enroll the student for one day with an exit code of 11 for the current school year. Be sure to enter the graduation information on the Profile tab.
- If the student graduates after June 30, but before the first day of their 12th grade year, enroll the student for one day with an exit code of “Q1”. Be sure to enter the graduation information on the Profile tab with a "GR" and the date of graduation.
GED Withdrawal Notes
If a student withdraws to go to an Adult Education facility (such as Southpointe) to obtain a GED, withdraw the student with a withdrawal code of “AE” (in the Entry/Withdraw tab) and leave the Completion Status (in the Profile tab) blank. Once the student has obtained a GED, change the Completion Status in the Profile tab to “GG”.
If a student withdraws to obtain his GED without attending an Adult Education program, withdraw the student with a withdrawal code of "GED“, and leave the Completion Status blank in the Profile tab, until the GED has been obtained. Once the GED has been obtained, change the Completion Status in the Profile tab to “GG”.
If a student obtains his GED while he is attending High School, withdraw him with a “GED” code on the Entry/Withdraw tab, and enter a “GG” code in the Completion Status on the Profile tab.
Withdraw/Promote to South Valley School
Before Summer Promotion (before the roll-over in July) the student should be retained and pre-transferred. The current school receives a list from South Valley or Special Ed informing them which students will attend 802 the next year. The current school needs to:
- In the Student Profile screen, click Edit, change Retained to “Yes”
- Change the NY Grad Year to 8888 (Grade 13)
- The Grad/Dipl Sts: should be “RT-Retained Senior”
- Go to the School Path tab; manually override the student to school 802
- Do not enter any other graduation information such as Graduation Date or Degree Type
After Summer Promotion (the roll-over) if the student’s profile information shows as graduated, and there is no entry record for a student showing at South Valley, the student should be pre-enrolled at 802. South Valley can call the registrar at the high school and have the student’s graduation information corrected or removed and verify the withdraw date as the day after the last day of school. South Valley can then pre-enroll the student:
- Pre-enroll using the first day of the next school calendar
- Change the student’s grade to 13 and the Grad Yr to 8888
- Make the status on the Entity tab CY-Inactive and NY-Active
Once the student has completed the program at South Valley school they may receive a certificate of completion. If a student chooses, they may also go on to Southpointe High after attending South Valley and receive an actual diploma. A student may also age-out of the program at 22. If a student leaves the program before the end of the year, they would receive a corresponding code such as TO or TS.